Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shao Kunt

Mortal Kombat Nine.

MK1 : really good
MKII : fantastic
U/MK3/T : pretty good
MK4/Gold : sucks (in 3D!)
MK Deadly Alliance: different
MK Deception: same as alliance
MK Armageddon: Trilogy version of the last 2
MK vs DC: hated it! (2 snaps down in a Z formation)

So that brings us to 9, simply titled Mortal Kombat. How do you ruin a fantastic game? You give your boss characters flashing orange/yellow invincibility frames......lots of them. Now the AI is kinda dumb in this game when it comes to the bosses and I guess this was their way of "balancing". Even though I hate the way the way you have to fight the bosses, I cant help but love this game. Its really hard to beat up Kintaro, they made him look way too cute, like a kitten.

Kontent. There is just so much stuff to unlock. Everyone has a hidden fatality, hidden bablity, second costume, and more. Real endings are back when you finish "arcade" mode. A Krypt stuffed with concept (Im not going to keep doing the K thing) art, how to do the 2nd fatality, music, speed paintings, and over all just a bunch a really neat stuff. Beating the pretty awesome story mode unlocks 2 more characters to play, and on top of that there's the Challenge tower. The challenge tower is also known as the gimmick tower because its 300 gimmick matches, as you play up the tower you unlock additional Test your Sight/Might/Luck/etc mini games to play, and finishing the tower gets you both an achievement and a 3rd costume for Mileena.

Speaking of the Challenge tower that brings me to my next point, game modes.
Arcade, Fatality Trainer, Online,King of the Hill, Story, Tag Tower, Tutorial, and the earlier mentioned mini-games. There is a ton to do, and all of it is pretty fun to do. Well, maybe not online, its still pretty crappy due to lag and what not. Still its running better then the PSN is right now (/burn). I REALLY dont like the trend EA started with the use this code to play online (aka fuck whoever buys this game if you ever trade it in) and I'm very dissappointed WB games decided to do it too.

I will never 1k this game, The "mastering everyone" achievement is the deal breaker. In order to master a character, you have to do a buncha of trivial stuff, like 100 "alities" 150 Xrays, 100 wins, 10k pints of blood......all very doable, but the last thing you need to do is 24 hours of actual character usage. That means it would require like 28 days of real time (read: 672 hours) of actual playing. I think that roughly means 2 1/2 RRoDs in order to get it. I've had the game a week and play with Scorpion religiously and I still haven't "mastered" him.

Lastly, Im mega pissed at Gamestop. I pre-ordered the Tournament Edition from them expecting the stick, the game, and Scorpion. I got Ermac and they told me go outside and play hide and go fuck myself and that "Classic Ermac is rare because he only came with the special and tourny edition games" yet they wouldnt trade me codes.

Finish him!
~M

PS: Finally, Johnny Cage can cunt punch the chicks!

No comments: