Friday, November 11, 2011

I'll post something better after Batman, I promise.

I told myself I was going to make Monday my official write about video games day, but then the only thing I did last week was play Batman. At current, I don't really have anything better than Llinrac (or anyone else on the internet) to say about it, but maybe after I 100% done on it. In the mean time I thought I'd look back and round up some of the gems between now and the last time I lost interest in this. It was either this or hate on Capcom some more and really, they're making that so easy its not even fun anymore.

Saints Row 2: Now Llinrac already gushed about this, but I want to say if you're a fan of dicking around in sandbox games, BUY SR3. If this game is any indication, the guys at volition could care less about narrative or theme or pacing but good god do they know what tickles your inner twelve year old.

Outland: An action platformer infused with a lot of Limbo's minimalist personality. You don't do much more than race around shadowy environs and swing your stick at things, but its so well done, you don't really feel like you're missing out. The games real depth comes from its light dark system, where the player can hot swap (in)vulnerabilities to color coded platforms, enemies, and bullets. Truth be told, I've only scratched the surface of what it has to offer, but I can already tell the frantic red/blue switching is going to get incredibly complex.

World of Keflings: You know, underneath the years of twitch gaming and torture trained reflexes, I've got a soft spot for any game that presents me with nothing more than a canvas and a loose set of goals. This low rent fusion of Sim City (90%) and Starcraft (10%) gives you a couple flowcharts worth of construction and resource management framed around rebuilding the absurd lives of the Keflings. There's a lot of buildings, resources, and a small chores to motivate you through its "plot", but by and large you just put troops to work and turn a map of trees and stone into houses and towers. The icing here is that you get to stomp around in your own avatar's low res boots, putting your adoring fans to work with a slightly more personal touch than the standard disembodied "God's Hand". More to the point, resources never seem to run out and there's no rigid quick do this then do this or you can't do that mission structure. The worst thing that could happen is you put to many people on crystal duty and have to reassign some units to logging and take a potty break.

Trials HD: Simply put, this is the closest anyone has come to capturing the magic of Excitebike without slapping on a bunch of stupid modern gaming features. I played the demo for Trials on a whim (because it was on sale) and after about 15 minutes worth of jumps, spins, and crashes I happily surrendered my wallet. Its nowhere in the neighborhood of say, Super Meat Boy in terms of soul crushing trial and error, but if you want to put your loose understanding of motorcycle physics to the test (or just take your frustrations out on a disposable non-descript motorcyclist) you can't do much better than this.

-F

No comments: